Berkshire railway history
Trains have run from New York, New Haven and Hartford to Lenox since 1850, until the passenger lines closed a century later. A local man, John W. Herbert, wanted to bring them back. He was a U.S. Air Force officer and 30-year veteran of the General Electric Company, and he founded the museum in 1984. It has run for more than 30 years as a labor of love, fueled largely by volunteers.
The historic Lenox depot also houses the Yokun Block Station, a replica of the Rising block station in the village of Housatonic. In the days of telegraph, before radio, the block station would coordinate the movements of trains sharing a network of single tracks. The renovated block station here has a a working vintage railroad communication system and acts as a living exhibit and the operations base for the museum’s train crews.