Reflections and hopes for the future — #berkshireweekend

We’re in the calm after the holidays. After the energy of the last month, we have some time to look ahead. So let me ask you. What are you looking for in the Berkshires this year?

It feels like a changing time in the county, to me. We’re still emerging from the shakeup of the pandemic. Places have gone in our downtowns, and places have come. Last night I was talking with a fellow Williams alum about rebuilding, about what that means.

I see people creating and caring for communities around me, sometimes holding on against stiff headwinds. And right now I’m looking for ways to understand currents in the community, and ways to help people I value doing the work of making community, and for their open-minded integrity.

I’m looking for new perspectives. And good books. And good conversations. Gathering places can draw me in, when I’m looking for somewhere I can get out of the house on an early winter evening and find people talking thoughtfully.

And on a cold day sometimes a touch of home comfort can help me find my footing for awhile — a hot cup of tea, a spot of color, a winter walk in the snow. So … what would you like to find? What would you like to know? If you want to toss some suggestions my way, I’ll see what I can unearth for you.

Birch and hemlock gleam in the ice on the Chestnut Trail in Williamstown and at Tamarack Hollow in Windsor.
An apple tree at sunset. Winter at the Notchview Reservation in Windsor, Massachusetts. Courtesy of the Trustees of Reservations.
Photo by J. Monkman

An apple tree at sunset. Winter at the Notchview Reservation in Windsor, Massachusetts. The Trustees of Reservations.

More events coming up …

Myriam Gendron sings century-old Quebecois, French, and American ballads and traditional works. Press image courtesy of the Clark ARt Institute
Apr 26 2024 @ 7:00 pm
Born in Canada, Myriam Gendron sings classic folk forms, breathing new life into century-old Quebecois, French, and American ballads and traditional works.
Details of an electric guitar tuner, Creative Commons courtesy photo.
Apr 26 2024 @ 7:30 pm
Jamie McLean Band performs with New Orleans soul and Delta blues with the Mallett Brothers' independent rock and roll and country from Maine
Orange and gold tulips bloom at the annual Daffodil and Tulip Festival at Naumkeag in Stockbridge.
Apr 27 2024 @ 10:00 am
Naumkeag's annual Spring Celebration returns for its 5th year, as the eight acres of gardens bloom with bulbs to celebrate spring in the Berkshires.

By the Way Berkshires is a digital magazine exploring creative life and community — art and performance, food and the outdoors — and I’m writing it for you, with local voices, because I’ve gotten to know this rich part of the world as a writer and journalist, and I want to share it with you.

If you’d like to see the website grow, you can join me for a few dollars a month, enough for a cup of coffee and a cider doughnut. Members get access to extra stories and multimedia, itineraries a bookmark tool. Let me know what you're looking for, and we’ll explore together.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BTW Berkshires
Shares